As Dominic Chapman's family have owned the acclaimed Castle Hotel in Taunton for more than 65 years, it’s safe to say his passion for food was instilled at a very young age.
Starting his culinary journey in London with Rowley Leigh, Dominic then worked for Heston Blumenthal’s 3 Michelin starred, The Fat Duck in Bray.
Dominic then went on to run The Fat Duck’s sister restaurant, The Hind’s Head followed by a head chef position at Michael Parkinson’s Pub and restaurant Royal Oak Paley Street, where he won a Michelin star. Dominic now owns and runs the acclaimed Beehive Pub in White Waltham.
6kg bronze turkey
170g of soft butter
250g of pancetta
1 onion, peeled and halved
1 leek, halved
1 carrot, halved
2 celery sticks, halved
½ bulb of garlic
10g of thyme
3 bay leaves
1L of water
1. Preheat the oven to 210ºC / Gas mark 7 and bring turkey to room temperature
2. Season the turkey well inside and out and place the turkey into a roasting tray, spread butter over the entire bird and cover with pancetta
3. Arrange the onions, leeks, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme and bay around the turkey. Then pour 1 litre of water into the roasting tray and cover the entire tray with tin foil
4. Make sure the tin foil is tightly covering the turkey and roasting tray so that the turkey will steam
5. Place in the oven and cook for 45 minutes. Then, turn the oven down to 170ºC/Gas mark 3 and continue cooking for another 2 hours
6. For the last half hour of cooking remove tin foil from the turkey and peel off the pancetta
7. Turn the oven up to 200ºC/Gas mark 6 and roast until the skin of the turkey is golden brown and crisp. Once roasted remove from the oven and allow to rest for 45 minutes
8. To serve, carve the turkey and serve with vegetables
MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION
Carrot & Apple Muffins
Delicious and filling, these make an ideal breakfast or afternoon snack with a cup of tea or coffee.
Pasta Alla Vodka
Pasta alla vodka is inspired by Italian and New York cooking styles and flavours, a rumoured favourite of model Gigi Hadid; it has been a big hit recently.