Chef Rohit Ghai
Born into a Punjabi family and originally from Madhya Pradesh, India, Rohit cut his culinary teeth working for the prestigious Oberoi and Taj hotel groups.
Michelin-starred Rohit Ghai (@chefrohitghai) is one of the culinary world’s most in-demand chefs after a hugely successful decade on the London restaurant scene.
He achieved the quickest ever award of a Michelin star at Jamavar, Mayfair after only 10 months and now he has entered an exciting new era in his career, with his first solo venture, Kutir.
Chef Ghai’s precise and innovative cooking techniques and dishes have won him praise from celebrities, dignitaries and some of the nation’s most discerning food critics.
• For the Chicken:
8x Chicken thighs boneless and skinless
• 150g Yoghurt
• 20g Kashmiri Red chilly powder
• 1 tbsp Ginger paste
• 1 tbsp Garlic paste
• 1 tbsp Mustard oil
• 1 tsp Kasoori methi pwd
• Salt to taste
• 1 tbsp Lime juice
• 1/2 tsp Garam masala
• For the Tikka Masala Sauce:
• 70-10g Rape seed oil
• 50g Butter
• 250g Chopped onion
• 1tbls Chopped garlic
• 1tbls Chopped ginger
• 1tsp Garam Masala
• 1tsp Cumin powder
• 2x Creen chilli chopped
• 100g Chopped tomato
• 1 tsp Coriander
• 2 tbsp Tomato paste
• 1tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
• 1/2 tsp Ground red chilli powder
• Salt to taste
• 150g Double cream
• 1 tbsp Honey
• Water as needed
• 2 tbsp Chopped fresh coriander to garnish
• 1 tbsp Dry crushed kasoori methi
1. First, marinate the chicken thigh with the ginger garlic paste, salt and lime juice set aside. This marination can even be done overnight.
2. Next to make the sauce, heat oil in a pan and fry the onion until golden brown, or on a low heat for 15 minutes.
3. Add ginger garlic paste, chopped green chillies and chopped ginger. After, add the spices and salt.
4. Stir and add tomatoes.
5. Continue to stir and add tomato paste and water as needed.
6. Turn down the heat and allow to cook on a low heat for about 7-8 minutes.
7. In the meantime make the second marination for the chicken.
8. Add hung yogurt, Kashmiri chilli powder, garam masala, salt, kasoori methi, mustard oil, ginger garlic past and dry fenugreek leaves into a bowl and mix well.
9. Apply marination to the chicken and mix well, ensuring chicken is entirely covered. (Chicken should ideally be left to marinade for around three hours, if possible).
10. Arrange chicken in a tray and cook in the oven for about 15-20 minutes at 180c.
11. To finish the sauce, add fresh cream and stir. If you feel that the recipe needs it, you can add honey at this point.
12. Add fresh kasoori methi and fresh chopped coriander. The sauce should be a deep red-brown colour.
13. Add the cooked chicken tikka pieces and cook for an additional 8-10 minutes until the sauce is thick and bubbling, this also helps absorbing all the flavours of the sauce right into the meat for maximum flavour.
14. Pour in the water to thin out the sauce, if needed.
15. Finish with butter and Garam Masala.
16. Garnish with fresh chopped coriander and fresh julienne ginger and serve with butter naan.
MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION
Carrot & Apple Muffins
Delicious and filling, these make an ideal breakfast or afternoon snack with a cup of tea or coffee.
Pasta Alla Vodka
Pasta alla vodka is inspired by Italian and New York cooking styles and flavours, a rumoured favourite of model Gigi Hadid; it has been a big hit recently.