Chef Jeremy Borrow (@jeremyborrow) specializes in modern Middle Eastern/Mediterranean Cuisines after spending 25 years in the top restaurants of Tel Aviv. Having worked previously as Consultant Head Chef for the first year set up of Nutshell Restaurant in Covent Garden as well as Head chef of The Palomar restaurant in Soho, he is currently head chef of Momo Restaurant in Mayfair.
As per Chefs advice, the dish tastes better after sitting overnight and it is also easier to degrease the sauce after a night in the fridge. Therefore it may be advisable after straining off the vegetables, to return the ribs to the not yet reduced cooking liquor and chill overnight. The following day the fat will have solidified on the top of the sauce making it easier to remove. Then continue from stage 11 after removing the ribs again from the liquid.
Enjoy using our Parson's Nose best short ribs!
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 Celery stalks
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 cans of Guinness (440ml each)
1 whole garlic, cut into 2 horizontally
2 Bay leaves
2 sprigs of rosemary
4 sprigs of thyme
12 sprigs of Parsley
1x tin of chickpeas, strained
Chopped parsley for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 160C
2. Rub the short rib portions with salt and pepper.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and sear the ribs until golden brown and well caramelised on all sides.
4. Remove from the pan and discard all but 1 tbsp of the hot oil.
5. In the same pan, fry off the onions, carrots and celery until the onions become translucent.
6. Add the flour and tomato puree and cook for another 2 minutes, being careful not to burn them.
7. Deglaze the pan with the Guinness and add the garlic followed by the herbs.
8. Add the short ribs and cover with water.
9. Bring to the boil, cover with baking paper and a tight-fitting lid.
10. Transfer to the pre heated oven for 2.5-3 hours or reduce the heat to a low bubble and continue cooking on the stove top until meltingly tender.
11. When ready, remove the short ribs from the liquid.
12. Strain the cooking liquid and remove as much fat as possible.
13. Return the liquid to a clean pan, add the chickpeas and reduce by half.
14. Pour the sauce over the short ribs, sprinkle with chopped herbs for garnish and serve.
Shop Parson's Nose beef short ribs here.
Did you know we're also an online butchers based in London? Shop our products for meat delivery online, including quality sausages, London's finest goat meat, our cheese collection, our BBQ meat collection, chicken and more. Buy online today.
MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION
Carrot & Apple Muffins
Delicious and filling, these make an ideal breakfast or afternoon snack with a cup of tea or coffee.
Pasta Alla Vodka
Pasta alla vodka is inspired by Italian and New York cooking styles and flavours, a rumoured favourite of model Gigi Hadid; it has been a big hit recently.