When making a pumpkin pie from scratch, you can either use tinned pumpkin purée or make your own purée by cooking down a pumpkin and adding your own seasoning and spices. We’re sharing how to make the perfect one from scratch.
Ingredients you will need:
- 450g pumpkin flesh, peeled and cut into small chunks.
- 3 large eggs plus (1 egg will just be for the yolk).
- 75g soft brown sugar.
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg.
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp ground cloves.
- ½ tsp ground ginger.
- 275ml double cream.
- Preheat your oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Roll out your pastry and line a 23cm/9in a pie tin (not loose-bottomed). Now bind bake the pastry for 20 minutes.
- Place the pumpkin chunks on a baking tray, cover with foil and roast until tender throughout for 20-30 minutes.
- Press the cooked pumpkin into a sieve and remove any water and leave to cool.
- Now blend or mash your pumpkin into a pureé.
- Whisk the eggs and extra yolk together in a large bowl.
- Wisk your sugar, spices and double cream together in a pan on a medium heat until it begins to simmer.
- Gently pour over the eggs and whisk the mix again.
- Now whisk in your pumpkin pureé.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Pour the filling into your pastry case and bake for 35-40 minutes. (You’ll know it’s done when the pastry has slightly risen and is golden and your pumpkin is firm with a wobble in the middle.)
- Remove your pie, eat, and enjoy.
Tip: You can enjoy your pumpkin pie hot from the oven, or cold from the fridge. We recommend adding whipped cream or créme fraiche topping to compliment your dessert.